Sunday 25 September 2022

Belated Winter 2022 Update

Yes, it has been a while since I done a Blog post, but I will explain soon what has been happening. But glad to say that I am gradually getting back into the routine with my Railway Modelling efforts.

Running session on my Jindalee N Scale Layout

New Job

Well, as mentioned in one of my previous post that I had some challenges ahead of me on the personal front. In December last year, I was made redundant after many years working for my now previous employer. 5 months into 2022, I was in search in finding my next role. I had to say it was an interesting experience which came along with a few frustrating set backs and was certainly a full time job looking for a job which resulted the hobby of Railway modelling having to take the back seat. 

Fortunately, I was formally offered a Role in May which I accepted.

I know that this diverges away from the topic of Railway Modelling, but it had an impact to the time that I could spend on this hobby along with the uncertainty of what I could actually set as a budget on the hobby moving forward. Furthermore, there was a change of routine needed in adjusting to a new role. 

One thing for sure that I did realise from this experience, even though I enjoyed my last role, it was a job that came with high pressure and can be at times very stressful. I found over the years that railway modelling was a good way to destress myself and exercise my problem solving skills to the challenges that this hobby does put present itself with.

Moving Forward

Im finally getting set into my new routine when it comes to work and working out the time that I can put aside to commit to the hobby. Furthermore, I have been a bit deterred from working in the Garage due to the cold temperatures. But now as it is warming up, I am now finding myself gradually getting back working on my Model Rail Projects. 

Resuming Work On Muttama

This is a project that I should have completed a while ago, but I am in sight in completing this project. It is now down to getting a lot of the smaller items pending completion to be finished. My approach now is to try and work on something at least a 1 hour a day to eventually get Muttama completed. I'm hoping to have this project completed to the point that it can be presentable to be exhibited by the end of this year.

E Z Line solution for the wire fencing.

Just on almost a couple years ago when doing my first lot of line side fences it was suggest to me to consider using onigo boingo wire as it would present a better wired fence look when compared to the craft wire that I got from Spotlight. Unfortunately, I could not find any onigo boingo wire anywhere, but after a few inquiries, I was recommended to get a product called E Z Line. So the first task in a long time on Muttama is to rewire the existing fencing and install the E Z Line alternative. This has so far been a far better solution than what I had in place previous.

The E Z Line fencing solution result.

Removing the craft wire that I used and replacing it with E Z Line has made it into a more convincing looking wire Fence Line. This was simply done by super gluing the E Z Line onto the existing wire, which threaded itself through the holes in the fence post when I was removing it.

I have also decided to also change my original approach with some of the Fence Lines just to provide a bit more of an inconsistent mix. I decided to get a Couple of packets of the Woodland Scenics Barbed Wire fencing which I have placed on the road side. Certainly saves a bit of time (or in my case make up some lost time) in placing in a fence.

I thought to modify the fences to make it more like the road side fencing similar to what is there today.

The roadside fencing adjacent from where the goods siding loop is at Muttama.


First stages of modifying the Woodland Scenics Barbed Wire Fencing.

More wooden fencing posts in place to be eventually fixed in with some E Z wire line to be threaded through. Also working on getting the Gate Keepers Cottage into its final place.


Well it is good to be back into the routine in railway modelling. As for those cold nights in, I have been working on some 3D Drawing projects which are now in the process of being 3D Printed.

3D Printer getting set up for the next lot of 3D projects that I have been working on over the last year.


Looking forward into updating you all soon on some further progress.












 


2 comments:

  1. Glad the year has worked out for you Peter! Hope to see some more modelling updates soon. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I certainly planning to publish some updates soon. Also got your book on Build A Bookshelf Layout. It was a great read.

      Delete